Why do people study Mandarin?
– it is easier than you think- no tenses, no genders, simple grammar!
– it is spoken by more than a billion people
– it will give you a huge advantage if you need to get into the Chinese job market
– it will enrich your understanding of China’s fascinating culture and history
– it will lower communication barriers between yourself and your Chinese coworkers
Simply add 吗 to the end of the statement to turn a statement into a question that has the answer Yes or No.
他会开车吗？ tā huì kāi chē ma ？
Can he drive?
Alternatively, you can repeat the verb (or the first verb in a phrase) in the negative form.
他会不会开车？tā huì bú huì kāi chē
Can he drive? (She can, can’t drive?)
When the verb is 有yǒu，the negative form is 没有méi yǒu。
你有钱吗？nǐ yǒu qián ma ？/你有没有钱？nǐ yǒu méi yǒu qián ？
Do you have any money?
Replying to Yes/No questions
To say yes, you can use the verb in the question or reply 是shì ，对duì ，没错 méi cuò .，
To say no, answer with 不bú+verb or 不是的bú shì de ，不对bú duì，错cuò.
Try to make your own yes/no question below (in the comments) and we’ll let you know how you did!
Remember to sign up for a free Mandarin lesson with me, Sophie, by going to our Shop page. I can’t wait to meet you!
Exclusive Offer for New Students
Get Your First Lesson FREE
Are you ready
to finally become